18 Dec Educational Debt is a Hot Topic at the AVMA Economic Summit
Dr. Bridgette Bain, Associate Director of Analytics at the American Veterinary Medical Association, presented “Supply and Demand in the Market for Veterinary Education” at the AVMA Economic Summit held Oct. 22-23 in Schaumburg. Dr. Bain provided a comprehensive picture of the market and concluded with these key takeaways:
- The market for new veterinarians is robust. Salaries and the number of full-time employees are increasing.
- Many schools have experienced a year-over-year decrease in debt levels. What can schools with increasing debt levels learn from those with decreasing debt levels?
- The gender income gap has decreased from 4% in 2018 to 3% in 2019.
- How can students who borrow above the total cost be encouraged to minimize their loans?
- Participation from international institutions would allow a better understanding of their challenges and needs.
The AVMA partners with the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges and the Veterinary Medical Association Executives to lead the Veterinary Debt Initiative.